Thursday, February 3, 2011

N385 - Seeing Sideways - Day 3

For some reason, I can't remember a whole lot about our most recent class session... I remember a bit involving a prosthetic leg and some reasons why you shouldn't take pictures in the mirror with the camera showing, but that's about it. Hmm... I am just going to assume that we covered so many topics that my brain refuses to acknowledge any of them. On to the prompt!

Concept vs. Final Product

Well, this is something that is really weighing on me currently. My Capstone is just around the corner, and I still have no idea what I am going to do yet! That's not to say that I haven't thought of any good ideas... Actually, I have thought of quite a number of really awesome ideas! Sadly, though, I am not sure any of them can be pulled off with the resources available to me, the time I have to work on it, and my overall set of skills.

When coming up with a concept, you have to keep your final product in mind. Is it something you can actually create? How much time and energy will it require? Do you need outside help or can you do it all yourself? Will it ultimately be worth it? These are the questions I find myself asking... myself.

I can't just do a boring-no-one-gives-a-shit Capstone. I need to do something that really stands out and makes people say, "Whoa! That's fucking epic!" It's not that I am hoping my Capstone lands me a job or seals my graduation with a 4.0 GPA (Though, neither of these would upset me). I want to make something that I can be proud of!

I have a handful of unfinished projects on my portable hard drive... I never finished anything. I want to have something that I can look at years from now, even if I have no job and no money, and say, "I made this. Look at this, fellow soup kitchen patron, I fucking made this."

For me, coming up with something to do is easy. But coming up with something to do that is awesome and actually doable is damn near impossible. I've been stuck in the conceptual stages on a myriad of different projects for as long as I can remember. Part of it is laziness, I'll have to admit (if I am going to be honest with myself), but a lot of it stems from envisioning grandiose ideas that are all but impossible.

Anyways, I feel like I am rambling and... honestly, I have no idea where I am going with this. What I just said probably doesn't have much relevance to the original prompt either. Whoops. I guess I'll think on it some more and get back to you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment