Sunday, February 20, 2011

N385 - Seeing Sideways - Day 4

As I said in my previous post, I was unable to attend last week's class due to a doctor's appointment. (And we apparently went on a field trip!!!) But alas, I spent my time wisely. At least, in my opinion.

So what did I do?

Well, I decided that in the New Media world, we are too focused on making products for the client or worrying about our target audience. To try to counteract this, I decided I would spend 3 hours (the amount of time I would have spent in class) doing art just for me.

I have really been getting back into Pokemon lately, and some of the redrawn Pokemon characters are really, really cool. So I decided that I would draw one of my favorite Pokemon and try to make him look a little more badass.

Here's what I was able to do:

I am pretty impressed with myself. I just started drawing and painting in Photoshop, so I am still trying to get the hang of it. This was a pretty good improvement from some of my other pieces, so I am happy about that. Also, since it was for me and not for someone else, it was something I was excited to work on and something that I wanted to do well.

Maybe the Art people are onto something there. I think most people can agree that when they are doing something for themselves they don't have to force themselves to do it, they just want to! And on top of that, they want to do it to the best of their ability, because it is for themselves!

However, I still stand by the fact that it is much harder to financially succeed when you are only doing what you want to do. You can lie to yourself all you want and say that you don't care about the money, but everyone needs at least enough to keep themselves fed and clothed. If you can't do that doing what you want to do, you are going to have to do what someone else, someone with deeper pockets, wants you to do.

Helmet's Helpful Hints: Catching Pokemon in the Safari Zone can be difficult without the use of your own Pokemon to help you. From my experiences, I find that the supplied rocks and food don't really help you out. Just throw Safari Balls and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment