Monday, February 7, 2011

N385 - Seeing Sideways - Breaking the Rules

For this assignment, we were supposed to break a rule of some kind. I really struggled to come up with something to do for this assignment, because I feel like I don't really have a problem breaking rules on the regular. That's not to say that I just go around disregarding laws and being an obnoxious ass all the time, but if per say I felt that I could get better results on a project by breaking a rule or if I felt that a rule wasn't serving any purpose, I would feel no remorse in breaking it.

At one point, I decided I just wasn't going to do this assignment, but I felt like that was taking the easy way out. (Even if I tried to play it off as that being my way of "breaking the rules.") After thinking long and hard about it for 4 or 5 days, I realized I was beginning to run out of time. Then, the idea just sort of came to me: You aren't supposed to wait until the last minute to do a project.

Now, I procrastinate all the time, so this needed to be some SEVERE procrastination in order for me to really be breaking a rule. I decided that I would wait and do my project exactly one hour before I had to go to class on the day it was due. As for the actual project, I decided to make a picture in Photoshop that broke as many of the Photoshop rules that I could think of.

Here's how it went down:

I woke up at 10:30 this morning. I have to leave for class at 11:00. I threw on the same clothes that I wore yesterday and skipped showering and brushing my teeth. (Sorry classmates, I don't have time for that shit.) I did a Google search for some random images to combine and made sure to break all the rules I could think of: Upscaling an image, poor extractions, hard to read text, and lens flare. This thing was hilariously bad.

So, that's the first rule I broke. As for the second rule, I don't suggest waiting until the last 30 minutes to do your assignment. It really sucked. I wasn't able to do a lot of things I would have really liked to do with this image AND I stressed about it hard. I was laying in bed trying to sleep last night and all I could do was think about how the hell I was going to pull this off the next day. Anyway, I did. It wasn't great and it wasn't exactly easy on the nerves. At least not for me, since I care about school and my grades. I guess if you didn't care about any of that, this wouldn't be an issue for you at all. Although, if you were in that boat, I don't see why you wouldn't just skip doing the assignment altogether.

Helmet's Helpful Hints: Wake up late for class/work? Here's a morning checklist that will get you out the door in five minutes looking and smelling as close to normal as possible.
  • Mouthwash; It's almost as good as brushing your teeth. Your teeth might not be sparkling white, but your breath won't reek.
  • Deodorant is a necessity every day, but if you don't shower, it becomes even more important.
  • Cologne when combined with deodorant will hide the fact that you haven't showered 99% of the time. That doesn't mean go overboard on it. No one wants to have their nasal passages assaulted by an over-cologned dude either.
  • Jeans can be worn 3-4 days in a row, presuming you haven't spilled anything on them.
  • Shirts only get about 2 days of use, also presuming you haven't spilled anything on them.
  • Sock aren't even necessary. No one is going to notice you aren't wearing them.
  • If you aren't required to shave by your job, DON'T. If you are, make sure you have an electric razor with a cigarette lighter adapter so you can shave in the car on your way in.

No comments:

Post a Comment